Highly opinionated system for delivery of AWS cloud native applications
OFX hosted a traditional data centre which limited their ability to scale meeting increasing demand. Brexit and the US Election were predicted to drive a large amount of traffic to the business and it was unlikely that the existing infrastructure was able to handle the load.
- Limited internal resources to manage environment
- Inflexible platform with limited scalability
- No high-availability, no fail-over and limited disaster recovery
- CMS software platform unable to deliver key capabilities
- Migration of OFX’s production environment to AWS, re-architected with blue/green deployments for the entire environment
- Implemented pipeline allowing OFX to deliver environments and applications in a controlled, standardised, and repeatable manner. This includes the OFX database, the suite of Windows-based API Services Business Service Layer (BSL), and auxiliary applications.
- Upgrade from SQL Server 2008 Enterprise to SQL Server 2012 Standard Edition, including migration from an on-premise database to Amazon RDS
OFX was one of the few currency sites that remained available during the Brexit event, out of the top 10 web results for ‘currency converter. OFX is now able to serve 120 times the load experienced during Brexit, load which almost brought their traditional hosting provider down.
- Able to continue business operations during large global events
- Rapid delivery of business applications and feature releases
- Highly scalable and fault tolerant platform
- Improved performance and reliability
- Greatly reduced business risk during software releases (Blue/Green)
- Modern DevOps practice employed
- Improved operational and development agility and efficiency